Welcome to our FunZone, an interactive education section of our site. Whether it be pictures, trivia, quotes, or just “fun facts”, this will be an ever-changing section of our site.
- A dog’s nose has about 4 times as many scent cells as a cat’s and 14 times more than a human’s. That’s why dogs are oftern used to track down illegal drugs and missing persons. They can sniff out their dinner from any room in the house.
- Dogs see in color, but not the same way that we do. Veterinary Ophthalmologists have found that dogs are similar to people with red/green color blindness, meaning they can see bluish and greenish shades but not reddish ones. To a dog, a bright orange ball on a grassy lawn appears as a light greenish ball in a greenish grass.
- Contrary to popular belief, dogs do not sweat by salivating. They sweat through the pads of their feet. An estimated 1 million dogs in the United States have been named the primary beneficiary in their owner’s will.
- The dog was one of the first animals domesticated by humans.
- The heaviest dog ever weighed was 319 pounds.
- The oldest dog ever, died at age 29.
- Studies have shown that people who own pets live longer, have less stress, and have fewer heart attacks.
- Over 50% of all pet owners would rather be stranded on a desert island wit their pet, not another person.
- Acconding to a recent survey, the most popular name for a dog is Max. Other popular names include Molly, Sam, Zach, and Maggie.
- A cat will almost never meow at another cat. Cat’s use sound for humans.
- A cat can jump as much as 7 times its height.
- Cat’s cannot break a sweat because they have no sweat glands.
- A cat’s brain is more similar to a human’s brain than that of a dog.
- Cats can see color. Studies have shown that cat’s can distinguish between red and green; red and blue; red and gray; green and blue; green and gray; blue and gray; yellow and blue, and yellow and gray.
- A cat sees about 6 times better than a human at night.
- A cat’s tongue is scratchy because it’s lined with papillae- tiny backwards hooks that help to hold prey in place.
- A fifteen year old cat has probably spent ten years of it’s life sleeping.
- A frightened cat can run at speeds of up to 31mph, slightly faster than a human sprinter.
- A cat uses its whiskers as feelers to determine if a space is too small to squeeze through.
- Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. “Roger Caras”
- I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals. “Winston Churchill”
- Animals are such agreeable friends- they ask no questions; they pass no criticisms. “George Eliot”
- I have felt cats rubbing their face againist mine and touching my cheek with claws carefully sheathed. These things, to me, are expressions of love. “James Herriot”
- Money can buy you a fine dog, but only love can make him wag his tail. “Kinky Friedman”